Throughout this post, you’ll see how using positive thoughts can change your life and help you become more successful. You’ll begin by learning how success is connected to your thoughts. Then, discover ways to rid yourself of negative thoughts when they do occur. Next, you’ll learn how to tap into your subconscious mind for even more positive effects. And finally, you will uncover ways to harness the power of positive thinking to use in all areas of your life.
The average person generates 25,000 to 50,000 thoughts per day according to Hara Estroff Marano, editor in chief of “Psychology Today” magazine.
Positive mental attitude is a concept first introduced in 1937 by Napoleon Hill in the book Think and Grow Rich. The book never actually uses the term, but discusses about the importance of positive thinking as a contributing factor of success.Wikipedia
Imagine if each of those thoughts is a negative one. What effect do you think this would have on your life?
You’d probably be unhappy with yourself and those around you. You would also probably find that you were getting very little accomplished at work or at home.
You might also feel defeated and see no point in living, dreading each day.
Now let’s look at the opposite. What if those 50,000 were positive thoughts?
You would feel happy, optimistic, and confident about your life. Likewise, you might find that you consistently accomplish your goals at work and home, making you feel each day was a success.
You would also be tolerant and accepting of others as well as compassionate.
This phenomenon of how our thoughts affect our outlook first became popular around 1952 with Norman Vincent Peale’s book, “The Power of Positive Thinking”.
The school of thought developed around the idea that happiness and unhappiness were a byproduct of our thoughts. In fact, many believed that negative thinking leads to a variety of psychological and physiological disorders.
Connecting Success with the Power of Positive Thoughts
“Positive thinking is expecting, talking, believing, and visualizing what you want to achieve. It is seeing what you want, as an accomplished fact.”~ Remez Sasson
Everywhere you look you see interviews from successful people describing what they did to become successful. The key is to look at how they do it. Almost all of them have a positive “can-do” attitude. They use this power of positive thinking to help them succeed.
Your outlook is what your perception of success (or failure) looks like. It has a big impact on your success. The good news is that if you have a negative mindset, you can change it and your attitude to be more positive.
Here are seven ways positive thinking is connected to success:
- It’s proven to help with problem-solving. People who think positively are better able to learn new information. This improves your perspective and enables you to tackle problems and obstacles as they happen.
- It promotes and enhances your energy level. When you are in a good mood, you tend to laugh more, which boosts your endorphins and your energy level.
- Positive thinking helps to give you control by giving you confidence about yourself, your abilities, and situations. Successful people control their thought process, turning a negative pattern into a positive pattern as the need arises.
- A positive attitude attracts other positive people to you. Successful people often have a large circle of friends and acquaintances. The more people you know, the more doors of opportunity will be opened to you.
- Positive thinkers are more likely to set goals and follow through by taking action, which also happens to be one of the keys to success – setting goals and following through.
- Positive thinking improves your decision-making ability by opening your mind to broad thinking and creative solutions while negative thoughts close your mind and narrow your thought process. Successful people are often open-minded, forward thinkers who make good decisions and are good problem solvers.
- A positive outlook builds resilience. Successful people often face many failures and mistakes before they succeed. Those with a positive attitude are more resilient and recover quicker when they do fail.
Success is more than positive thinking. It requires positive action as well. While positive thoughts build the foundation of success, you have to follow up by taking positive actions.
How to Rid Yourself of Negative Thoughts
A positive attitude is one of the stepping-stones to success. Everyone has a negative thought occasionally and you may be able to counteract it with a positive thought. When negative thoughts fill your mind, it may be time to change your mindset. But, how do you do that?
Become aware of your thoughts.
The trick is to take control of your thinking. Frequently ask yourself, “What am I thinking right now?” Learn to recognize your negative thinking patterns and replace them with realistic, positive alternatives.
When negative thoughts enter your mind, immediately replace them with positive thoughts.
Negative thought: “I can’t believe that jerk cut in front of me!
Positive thought change: “I’m not rushed and in a hurry like that guy. He must be extremely stressed.”
Negative thought: “I can’t believe the poor service at this restaurant today!”
Positive thought change: “The waitress must be having a bad day because the service is usually great here.”
Read inspirational, positive quotes and articles. Read about the lives of successful and happy people.
Do things you love. Do at least one thing every day that you enjoy doing.
Visualize your life, as you want it to be. Create a visual map. When negative thoughts intrude, look at your map to remind you of what you want.
In the end, everyone has a negative thought occasionally. The trick is to recognize and replace them with positive thoughts immediately so you don’t dwell on the negative thoughts.
Top Tips to Cultivate a Positive Attitude
In life, there is a time and place for both negative and positive thoughts. However, when negativity becomes a habit or begins to have adverse effects on you, it’s time to make an attitude change and cultivate a positive mindset.
Here are the top tips to help you cultivate a positive attitude:
- Do NOT complain. Complaining is a very negative response to any situation that drains you of energy.
- Express gratitude every day, even for the small things. Eventually, you will become grateful for everything.
- Keep a list of things you have accomplished.
- Let go of the people around you who are negative, critical, and abusive of you. They drain your energy. Instead, surround yourself with supportive, positive people.
- Help others. Volunteer occasionally.
- Learn to meditate daily. Even a 10-minute meditation first thing in the morning will help you start your day on a positive thought.
- Let go of envy. Envy is a very negative emotion. It eats at you, pointing to the faults we see in ourselves.
- Be kind and smile at others.
- Choose to be happy. Happiness is a choice. When a negative thought enters your mind, push it out quickly. Substitute a happy thought.
- Have faith in yourself. Believe the Universe will help you.
- Read inspiring stories and watch inspirational movies or television shows.
- Repeat inspiring and motivating affirmations.
- Practice mastering your thoughts. Access your subconscious mind.
- Visualize what you want to happen. Release the thoughts you don’t want to happen.
Cultivating a positive outlook takes conscious thought. Be aware of your thoughts and the attitudes of those around you. Once you are aware of the negative thoughts in your environment, you’ll be able to counteract them more quickly. Positive thinking takes practice.
5 Ways to Go Deeper Into the Subconscious Mind
Now that you’ve learned how to rid yourself of the negative thoughts and build a positive outlook, you are ready to go deeper into the subconscious mind. The subconscious mind is the storehouse that holds your memories, past experiences, your deepest beliefs, and everything that has ever happened to you.
It’s where automatic functions take place, like driving a car and carrying on a conversation at the same time. You instinctively know how to drive so you can focus on your conversation.
The subconscious mind is much more powerful than your conscious mind. It makes everything you say and do a part of your self-concept. That’s why it’s important what goes into it. To change your outlook you have to go deeper than your conscious thoughts. The good news is that the subconscious mind learns through repetition.
There are several ways you can go deeper into your subconscious mind.
Repeat your new beliefs or thought patterns every day. Repeat inspiring words. Choose affirmations like, “I love and respect myself.” or “I attract good things into my life.” Feed your subconscious mind only with what you desire.
Meditate. Meditation allows you to go deeper into your consciousness, slowing the brain pattern down to release stress, anger, anxiety, and even alertness. With practice, you can become an observer of your thoughts. Simply allow your thoughts to flow, not reacting to any of them in any way.
“You can learn everything about meditation right here. Click the link to learn more.”
Let your creative side loose. Get creative and take up some form of artistic expression like painting or drawing, sculpture or decorating. Nurturing your creativity helps you to become more authentic and tune in to your subconscious self.
Trust your instincts. Your intuition is your connection to your subconscious mind. This is your gut feeling. Positive people have a strong sense of intuition.
Reprogram your subconscious mind using hypnosis. Hypnosis is the process of relaxing your brain waves so you are open to suggestions or reprogramming. Hypnosis can help you release negative thoughts that may have been instilled into your subconscious by society, yourself, or your upbringing.
There are other ways to access your subconscious mind as well such as energy psychology and brainwave entrainment.
In the end, I hope you have come to the realization that despite your own efforts at changing your thoughts, you might need to access your subconscious mind and take steps to dig deeper into those negative thoughts holding you back. Positive thinking will take some work.
“Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”~ C.G. Jung
Picture Yourself Achieving Your Goals and Attracting Success
What if you could achieve your goals and attract the success you want, using your thoughts? It is possible. Along with taking action, positively imagining what you want your success to look like is the key.
Positive thinking and a positive attitude, even in difficult times, is crucial to succeeding.
Here are 6 ways you can use positive thoughts to imagine yourself attracting success.
1. Visualize. Picture yourself achieving the success you are after. Visualize yourself in detail. For instance, if your goal is to lose x amount of weight, envision yourself putting on a pair of sexy jeans. If the goal is to sell x amount of products, picture yourself receiving paid invoices. Keep visual reminders around you.
2. Be thankful. Acknowledge three or four things you are grateful for each day. Embrace the day with the goal of being thankful. Picture in your mind how you would be grateful for your success.
3. Have a plan. Schedule each day in advance. A plan helps you see where you are going and make changes accordingly.
4. Take time to meditate or spend time in nature. Silence the noise that is around you. Sit quietly with your thoughts, removing negative noise.
5. Surround yourself with positive influences and people. Associating with positive people rubs off on you. See yourself being positive and kind.
6. Be enthusiastic and excited about your daily activities. Enthusiasm is contagious. It draws others to you. Force it when you don’t feel enthusiastic. Picture yourself being happy and excited.
You’ve got this. Use your mind’s creative visualization ability to see yourself attaining your goals and getting the success you desire. Visualize where you want to be and set your goals to get there. Use positive thoughts to help you.
10 Easy Ways to Be Happier
Here’s a quick list to help you create a more positive attitude and to be happier.
- Listen to good music. Music improves your mood and is a simple thing to do.
- Don’t watch television passively or at all.
- Be aware of negativity. Negative thoughts and feelings drain your energy.
- Make time to be alone. Sit quietly in your favorite room, in nature, or anywhere that you can be alone for at least five minutes.
- Take some time to figure out who you are or who you want to be.
- Exercise daily. Even a short walk will improve your mood.
- Have projects and goals to work toward.
- Ignore things that don’t make you happy.
- Just smile. Smiling will bring on a happy feeling, so even when you don’t feel like it, do it.
- Cultivating happiness is one way to build a positive outlook. Every day, find ways to be happy, even if you have to force it.
There you have it. You can cultivate a positive attitude. If you’ve always had a negative attitude, the tips in this post can help you banish that negativity.
Begin by becoming aware of your thoughts. When negative thinking begins, replace it with positive thinking. Do things that make you happy. Meditate and visualize your way to success. Successfully changing your outlook my require digging deeper into your subconscious mind where your thoughts and actions have been recorded repeatedly.
In the end, you are the one who is in control of your thoughts. You can make the choice to be successful, have positive thoughts, and be happier.
Download some positive thoughts for yourself.
- How to Achieve your Goals Like A Pro
- Easily Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone In Record Time
- Self-Sabotaging Behavior: 6 Reasons Why We Do It
- 7 Positive Thoughts for a Happy and Successful Life
- Fear: The 1 Thing Standing In Your Way
Pin to your Positivity Board!
Comment Down Below
What tips and tricks are you using to stay positive in your life? Let me know down below, I can always use some extra help! Don’t forget to signup for our newsletter and gain access to all kinds of free printables and extra help on your self-love journey.